Sunday, April 17, 2005

Part 6

By this time, I was sitting on the floor and hoping that the baby would stay in..

"This contractions are getting closer and closer..we need to get her to a hospital NOW!" Catie said

They helped me up and then we hailed a cab

"Where to?" The Cabbie asked

"St.Vincent's and step on it!" I said

The guy floored it and we screeched in front of the hospital

"Someone has to call my husband!" I said as an intern wheeled me up to Maternity

"We'll call him,honey, don't worry" Gina said

"You call him" Stevanne said

"What? so he can bitch at me? Yeah right ..you call him" Annie said

"I'll do it..you big chickens"Catie said

                                           BLAKE'S P.O.V

I was at home giving the girls popsicles when the phone rang

"Girls, stay in the yard and don't move until i come back ok?" I said then ran in to grab the cordless

"Hello?" I said watching the girls through the glass window

"Blake?" a voice

"Heyy Cat..what's up?" I said

"I'm with Nikki.." her voice trailed

"What's wrong?" I become instantly worried.. i knew i shouldn't have let her go..

"She's in Labor" Catie said

"Oh my god" I said

"Yeah.. come now.. St Vincent's" Catie said hanging up

"GIRLS!" I yelled,"COME IN NOW PLEASE!"

I got the girls in their jackets and dropped them off at Michelle's..explained what was going on and then took off for the hospital

"My wife's  having a baby!" I panted to someone at the front desk

"Maternity..5th floor" the woman said without looking up

I took off toward the elevators and pushed the button but it wasn't coming fast enough.. i noticed a sign for stairs so i ran up five flights

When I got up to the fifth floor, I saw Gina,Stevanne,Catie and Annie sitting in the waiting room,looking nervous and scared

"YOU GUYS!" I called

"Oh thank god!" Annie said

"What took you so long?" Stevanne asked

"She's ok.." Gina said

"Where are the girls?" Catie wondered  

"I dropped them off at Michelle's ..where is she?" I asked

They all pointed to a door

"Hi Sweetie" I said walking into her room

"Hi!!Honeyy!!" She looked out of her mind

"What did you give her?" i asked the nurse who was beside Nikki

"An epidural..why?" The Nurse asked

"Because the last time my wife was in labor..she didn't look that peaceful.." I said concerned

"Oh hey..Blake..look at the pretty lamp" She said staring at the light above her head

"Oh god.. How long before she's less drugged up" I asked

"A few hours" The Nurse said leaving

I left Nikki staring at the light and walked out to where the girls are

"You guys don't have to stay if you don't want to" I said

"We want to stay" Stevanne said making the final decision for everyone

"It's gonna be awhile" I told them

"We'll wait" Catie said

"Ok well let's go see The Rainwoman" I said leading the girls into Nikki's room

"Why are you calling her that?" Gina asked

"Once you see her, you'll know why" I said

"LOOK! IT'S THE GIRLS!" Nikki shouted

"I see your point" Annie said

                                           NIKKI P.O.V

The epidural wore off a couple hours later and the moment it wore off.. the contractions started

"Ok everyone who isn't a doctor, nurse, father or the mother GET OUT!" The Nurse said kicking out the girls

"How out of it was I?" I asked Blake

"Nikki in the Sky with Diamonds" He said

"A least this time, i wasn't threatning to kill you.." I said laughing

"No..but you looked like you were ready to have sex with a lamp" Blake said laughing

"No!" I couldn't believe

"Yup" He said

"Uh excuse me folks..could we chat later?" The Doctor said

"Ok" Blake and I said at the same time

A few hours later, I was still pushing and alternating between crying and yelling

"OH MY GOD!" I yelld

"Nik..good job honey good job!" Blake was trying to be encouraging

"SHUT UP! YOU DID THIS TO ME!" I screamed

"Nicole ..one more giant push!" The doctor said

"ARRGGH!" I grunted as the baby came out

"HERE SHE IS!" the doctor yelled

"Oh my god!" I said

"Another daughter?" He couldn't believe it

"Are you disappointed" I said

Before He could answer, the doctor popped up

"Ok..now when i start counting.,start pushing  for baby number 2" She said

"Baby number 2?" I said

"What?" Blake couldn't believe

"It's twins..you didn't know that?" The doctor said

"No.." We said together

"Your doctor never mentioned you were having twins?" The Doctor said

(I should stop here and mention Dr.Warner who'd delivered Lennon and Olivia was on an island in the Caribbean and now we had Dr.Pepper)

"Doctor!" The Nurse said frantically

"What's up?" The Doctor said

"Baby's heartbeat is dropping dramatically" The Nurse said

"Uh Oh" The Doctor,looking at the fetal monitor"Ok Mrs.Reef, we need to do a crash C-section now"

Everything was happening so fast, I couldn't keep up

"What?" Blake couldn't believe it

"Your baby's heartbeat has dropped and we need to get the baby out before your wife and baby bleed out" The Doctor said pushing Blake out the door

"Where is my husband going" I demanded

"He can't be in the operating room" The Nurse said

"Why?" I demanded

"It's hospital regulation" She explained

"I don't care about stupid rules..bring him back here NOW!" I yelled

"Sorry" The nurse said

"Where's my other baby?" I asked

"She's being cleaned and being put in the Nursery" The Doctor said

"Please..Let my husband in.. I don't want to be alone" I begged

"Alright..Nurse ..could you get Mr.Reef?" The Doctor relented

The Nurse went out and brought back Blake..who was white as a ghost

"Are you alright?" He asked

"No..I'm scared" I said

"I am too" He stood behind me

"Mr.Reef..if you're going to be in the operating table..I suggest you not look over the curtain" The Doctor said

"Why?" He asked

"Because once i make the incension,you're going to faint and frankly, I can't save three people at once" The Doctor said

"Sing me a song?" I asked Blake

"Huh?" He said

"Please" I looked up and the tears started flowing

"What song?" He asked

"You know" I smiled

"You are gonna so owe" He said

"Fine..next time you have the baby!" I said through gritted teeth

"Here goes" He started singing

"Baby, baby
I'm aware of where you go
Each time you leave my door
I watch you walk down the street
Knowing your other love you'll meet
But this time before you run to her
Leavingme alone and hurt
(Think it over) After I've been good to you ?
(Think it over) After I've been sweet to you ?
I've known of your
Your secluded nights
I've even seen her
Maybe once or twice
But is her sweet expression
Worth more than my love and affection ?
But this time before you leave my arms
And rush of to her charms" He stopped

"Big Supremes fan?" The Doctor asked

"It's sort of our song..we broke up about a dozen times and that song always got us back together" He explained

"Well..here's your daughter." The Doctor said holding up the baby

"Oh wow!" I said crying

"Is she alright?" Blake asked

"She's perfect" The doctor said

"This is so amazing!" Blake said

"Your not disappointed we have four daughters?" I said

"It just means we can try again" He winked

"Not tonight..i have a headache" I said

                                A FEW HOURS LATER

After being stitched up, Blake and I tried to decide what to name our girls

"Ruth?" He suggested

"No" I said,"Keelia"

"No..Marie?" He suggested

"No!" I said

"Well you made a list of names..what was on your list?' He asked

"Jill..Jodi.Ashley..Lily..Daisy.Laura?" I said

"I like Lily." He said

"Me too..Ok so Baby number one will be Lily..?" I couldn't think of a middle name

"What about Katherine? for your aunt?" He said

"Lily Katherine..I like it ..it fits" I said

"Ok so baby number two?" He said

"I was thinking..maybe Eva Marie?"  I suggested

"After the Actress I thought you didn't want Marie as a name?" He looked at me like i was nuts

"No I didn't like it as a first name but it's works as a middle.why you got any better names?" I said

"No..Eva Marie it is" He smiled

We heard a soft knock on the door

"Hello?" Annie said,"Can we come in?"

"Sure" I said

All of them..including Dina came in and sat around my bed

"Where are Lennon and Olivia?" I asked

"I left them with Michelle"Blake said

"No here we are" Michelle said walking in with the girls

"You guys wanna see the baby?" I asked them,"Blake..go get the baby"

He left to go to the Nursery  

"How are you feeling?" Catie asked

"Sore" I said leaning back against the pillow

"You're going to be sore for quite awhile, my friend" Dina said

"I know" I said

Just then Blake walked in with nurse behind him

"Guys. I want to meet our daughters..." I said

"Daughters?..wait you didn't?" Gina said

"Didn't what?" Michelle said

"She had twins!" Annie said

"Oh my god!" Catie said

"Guys..This is Lily Katherine and Eva Marie" I said picking up Lily

"Isn't this exciting,Lennon..your a big sister again!" Gina excitedly

Lennon may have only been four but she knew what was going on and she wasn't thrilled

"They're beautiful Nik.but one question?" Annie said

"Sure" I said

"You, Blake, Lennon,Olivia and Lily all have black hair..how did Eva wind up with red hair?" Annie asked

"Just lucky i guess" I smiled

"How are you guys going to handle four kids..three whom are still babies?" Catie asked

"No Idea" Blake said picking up Eva

 "Are they identical or fraternal twins?" Michelle asked

"Fraternal" I said

"Which is good because i wouldn't never be able to tell them apart!" Blake said

We were having such a good time talking and laughing when the nurse came in and booted everyone but Blake out.

"How ARE we going to handle four kids?" He asked

"I have no idea" I honestly didn't know.

"We could always send Lennon to your mother" He suggested

"I wouldn't subject myself to that torture let alone my kid" I said

"Well we're gonna have to do something..Because once the twins are home..it's gonna get crazy!" He said climbing on the bed with me

"and you want another?" I said

"Hell no living with five women is gonna be torture enough  ..forget about another kid" He said

"figured as much" I said laughing

We brought home Eva and Lily home on the hottest day of the year, I couldn't believe everyone come to see our girls..

"Ooh look look!" Jen squealed as we walked in the living room

"Hey Blake..twins! you dog!" John said slapping Blake on his back who was trying to set Eva and her carrier down

"Excuse me?" I said setting down Lily in her  carrier  

"Nothing" John said walking away

Eva was asleep but Lily was wide-awake, Gina took her while i put Eva in the port-a-crib

I just stood overher and watched every move she made until i realized that me standing over her would wake her up so i turned on the baby monitor and went back down stairs

"We were just trying to figure what you guys are gonna do with Olivia and Lennon for the time being" Annie informed me

"Well, I don't want them to go away from home..so maybe John..you could take them" I said

"Sorry, construction on the house is starting Monday and we have to move out for a few days ..otherwise we'd be glad to take them any other time" He said

"What about YOUR mother?" I asked Blake

"She's still recovering from her last vist with Lennon" He said

"One broken  vase and the woman has a breakdown" I said

"Hey Leave my mother alone" He said defensively

"I was kidding" I shot back

"Yeah right!" He said

"Hey guys..no fighting happy occasion remember!" Rachel reminded us

"Right..forgive me?" He said

"I guess so" I said then laughed

"Well ..what if...We sent Lennon with Annie and Olivia can stay with Catie?" Blake suggested

"Listen to us..we're sending away our children because we can't handle all of them  might as well put them up for adoption!" I yelled and stamped out

"Oh wow.." John whistled

"She's overwhelmed" Annie explained

"I figured" John said

I was hiding in the laundry room,crying when Blake found me

"Are you alright?" He asked

"I don't know how we're gonna handle everything and that scares me.. " I sobbed into my hands

"We're going to be just fine.." He said sitting beside me

"But how? we don't know how to take care of four little kids..we could barely care for Olivia and Lennon" I said

"This is a switch.."He said changing the subject

"What is?" I replied

"Usually..you know what to do and i'm flying by the seat of my pants but now your falling to pieces and i'm in control..kinda nice." He said holding my hand

" It is kinda nice to be taken care off" I said

"Do you want to go back upstairs to the party?" He asked standing up

"Will you just stay and hold me for awhile?" I asked

"Sure" He sat back down and just hugged me

 

                                          LATER THAT NIGHT

After everyone had gone home, we'd agreed to let Lennon stay with Annie and Olivia was going to stay home with us, now we were attempting to sleep..no such luck...

Eva was screaming again..

"You go" Blake said sleepily

"I already went twice, it's your turn" I said

"Ugh..how long before they start sleeping through the night?" He asked as he got up

"With Lily, problably six months,Eva..my guess is  18 years  ." I said into my pillow  

 "I've stumbled upon something i never thought of before" Blake said standing in the doorway

"What's that?" I asked

"The ultimate new form of birth control" He said turning around

"What? screaming infant?" I said laughing

"Yup..after dealing with this..i've come to the conclusion..we're never having sex again" He said leaving the room

"THAT'S WHAT YOU THINK!" I called

Through the baby monitor, I could hear everything

"Eva..sweetheart..baby..honey please stop screaming for Daddy" I heard him plead with her,"Lily can sleep through the night..why can't you? please..you know i  didn't have this problem with your sisters..why are you so difficult.. i'm negotatingwith a newborn.. if you stop crying..i'll buy you anything you want.."

Nothing..she kept screaming..

"Stop crying and i'll buy you a porsch on you're sixteenth birthday"

Nothing ..still screaming

"Oh god. you know, i get enough torture from your mother.. this is just icing on the cake" 

her screams were dying down,slowly but she was getting quieter

"What is that song your mother is always whistling?" He asked Eva

"NIK" he called

"IT'S TRAVELING MAN BY RICK NELSON" I called back

"Oh yeah.. here goes

"I'm a travelin' man
I've made a lot of stops all over the world
And in every part I own the heart
Of at least one lovely girl

I've a pretty Seniorita waiting for me
Down in old Mexico
If you're ever in Alaska stop and see
My cute little Eskimo

Oh my sweet Fraulien down in Berlin town
Makes my heart start to yearn
And my China doll down in old Hong Kong
Waits for my return

Pretty Polynesian baby over the sea
I remember the night
When we walked in the sands of the Waikiki
And I held you oh so tight

Oh my sweet Fraulien down in Berlin town
Makes my heart start to yearn
And my China doll down in old Hong Kong
Waits for my return

Pretty Polynesian baby over the sea
I remember the night
When we walked in the sands of the Waikiki
And I held you oh so tight

Oh, I'm a travelin' man
Yes, I'm a travelin' man" He finished singing

"Oh that's a good girl..go to sleep..go nite nite I love you" He said

She was now quiet and asleep

He came back into our room and crawled into bed

"She's out" He said face-first into the pillow

"But for how long..traveling man?" I asked

"I'll give you traveling man." He said then started tickling me

"OoOO stop! stop!" I laughed

"Never!" He said tickling me harder

"MOMMY!" Olivia called

"MOMMY'S BUSY HONEY" Blake said

"BLAKE" i said

"what? it's true!" He said letting me get up

"I'll be right back" I said and hurried out of the room

"Hi baby..what's wrong?" I asked Olivia

"Woogie" she said holding up her blanket

"Woogie? you mean monsters" I said

"No.. woogie man..gonna get me" For a two year old, she's very smart and can speak better than most adults

"Honey..there is no woogy man" I said kneeling on the floor

"Yess..lenny said gonna get me when new babies come cuz mommy too busy to save me"  She said griping her stuffed cat

" That's not true..Lennon is just very angry and wanted to scare you..that's all" I said

"Don't care..don't wanna sleep alone.." She said

"Do you wanna sleep in our bed with Daddy and me?" I said

"Okey dokey" She said,hoping off the bed and running into our room

"Whoa..hi honey..what are you doing here?" He asked her

"Woogie man ..gonna eat me..mommy said i could sleep here" She said snuggling up to him

"Alright but you have to go right to sleep ok?" He said..it was useless to say because she was already asleep

"The woogie man... where'd she get that?" Blake asked

"Lennon" I said

"You know..i wasn't expecting  a  rebellion for at least  another 12 years " He said

I woke up the next morning staring  into something with brown eyes..I jumped a mile before realizing  it was Olivia

"Hi mommy" She said sitting across my chest eating cheetos

"Hi Livvy.Where's Daddy" I asked watching her get orange crap  all over my quilt and it was all over her pj's

"He went to give the babies their bottles" She said

"He said you could eat cheetos for breakfeast?" I asked

"as long as i didn't make a mess" She said then planted an orange sticky kiss on my nose and hopped off the bed to watch cartoons

"That's just great" I  said getting up and pulling on my tank top and shorts

I walked into the nursery and saw Blake struggling to feed the girls both at the same time, he had one arm in the bassinett holding Eva's bottle in her mouth while Lily was in his lap in the rocking chair, at such an angle she was getting most of the bottle on the floor  

"Do you want some help" I said laughing

"Please.." He said whiny.

I took Lily from his lap and sat on the floor..i gave her what was left in the bottle and then put her in the swinging chair

"Do you want me to take Eva-" I said stopping when i realized both Blake and Eva were out cold, I couldn't help it..i ran and got my camera and started snapping pictures. I dragged the swinging chair and Lily into the living in case she started crying and woke up Eva

"Olivia..watch Lily while I go talk on the phone" I said but she was too interested in Spongebob to hear me,"Forget it"

                                       Few days later

The girls (not the little ones, the big ones) took me out for dinner, they must have sensed i needed a break

"How's it going?" Catie

"I haven't slept in a week" I said trying to stay awake

"You look..." Gina's voice trailed off

"Like death" Stevanne finished for her

"Really? Cause i feel like death" I said

"Sorry I'm late..what did i miss?" Annie said running into the restaurant

"Nikki looks and feels like death and we were  just about to order..now your up to speed" Catie said opening her menu

"Oh Ok" Annie said

"Nik..you wanna split a club sandwich?" Rachel asked

No Answer

"Nik?" Rachel looked up,"NIK"

"Wha?" I jumped a mile

"Were you asleep?" Gina asked laughing

"A little" I blushed

"Wow..you do need a vacation" Stevanne said

"Yes well until all four of them go off to college..it ain't gonna happen anytime soon" I said

"Ladies..do you know what next week is?" Catie said changing the subject

"The week of the 24th?" Stevanne said

"Not just that..it's every new yorker's favorite holiday" Catie said

"Fleet week is in September and this is July..i think.. i can't remember" I said

(fleet week is a time where the sailors come into port and there are all these great parties  and for those lucky single girls..a kiss from a sailor means a year's worth of good luck)

"IT'S FASHION WEEK!" Catie yelled

"Fashion week?" Gina said

 

No comments: